Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Ramen!!


Nowadays, I realized ramen became popular not only in Asia, but through out the world. Even in the school here in California, I see other students eating ramen in front of the beach hut, on grass, inside of the library, and on benches. Like other students, I eat ramen at least once a week.

My family is huge fan of ramen that we almost are addicted to it. When we are eating ramen together, we fight over who could cook ramen the best or whether we should put eggs in it or not.

Specially, on rainy days, ramen tastes better than anything. The hot soup warms my body and it is just perfect to eat the ramen watching outside raining. In Korean market, there is huge section for ramen including cups and plastic packaged ramen. It always makes me happy to choose the ones I love or even to try new ones. There are various ways to cook ramen by adding more ingredients, such as cheese, eggs, and vegetables. In Korea, people even eat ramen like snack; before opening the plastic packaged ramen, they break the noodle into small pieces, and they open it to put the powder into the plastic package, and shake it well. Then it becomes like some type of chips. I used to eat ramen like that with friends during class in Korea like I used to eat spicy cheetos during class in California.


Adopted from Japan in 1960s, ramen quickly became popular in Korea. Throughout the decades, Korean ramen companies developed their unique tastes that would satisfy Korean people who love spicy foods.

One of the advantages of eating ramen is that it is cheap. Also, ramen offers quick and easy preparation that will allow you to complete the cooking process in about five minutes. This feature of ramen forced itself to be one of the stereotypes for low class in Korea. Also, many Korean people consider ramen as something u must have in the morning after drinking the night before. They believe it would be one of the ways to relax their stomach.

7 comments:

  1. I think Ramen is a staple for American college students. People always say that once you become a college student you are poor and there for will be living off of ramen. Its true ramen is very cheap and easily cooked. What can go wrong all you need is a microwave water and a bowl. If you dont have that all you have to do is add the seasonings and eat the noodles rare. Endless possibilities do the starving college student. There are so many different varieties and it is such a versatile food. It can be taken anywhere and practically eating at any time. I love the way the noodles are creamy and sort of melt on your tongue with the first bite. It is amazing how popularized in the school systems they have truly become. At my high school ramen was one of the daily specials and most kids were addicted to the said cup of noodles.
    I suddenly have to urge to eat a cup myself.

    -Devin Short

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this because it is very true that college students can't afford pretty much anything else. I also like that any thing can go with ramen really well, like making ramen with egg drop in it. Ramen also has alot of flavors that go with it which is a nice bonus. Like, if you dont want beef or chicken they have shrimp flavor. Ramen is also very handy to eat on the go or if you need to eat it quickly.

    ~Derrick Trent~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with this. I really like Ramen, everytime my mom go to a korean market , she always bring home a box or two for me with different flavors. They actually sell Ramen everywhere now but it is better to buy it at a Korean Market because they always have more flavors to choose from compared to other places. Ramen is so easy to cook and fun to eat. I eat Ramen for my late night snack alot because those times where you stay up to study and then you just get really hungry. it is affordable and convenient.

    Nicki Vien

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, Top Ramen is one of the main things that kept me alive while living on my own. I still eat at least one nearly everyday. I read that you put an egg in, and instantly finished the puzzle of what my uncle used to put in it. Another good way to go is to mix packages (Chili & Chicken)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ramen is one of the best things out there, it’s fast and easy to make. Whether you are running late to school, you can heat a cup of noodles and take it on the go. The other fascinating thing about ramen is that you can add eggs or other types of ingredients. It all depends on you. I love to eat Ramen whether there’s no food in the house and that’s the only thing you have in your cabinet. One specific ramen I absolutely like is the Korean spicy noodle bowls that they sale at supermarkets for a dollar because it gives you that sensational feeling where you’re at a restaurant.

    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom got sick of cooking so during most of the days in a week we just eat ramen for dinner. I love the fact that it is cheap, and you get purchase it just about anywhere, in any market. And if you specifically go to Asian supermarkets, they sell a dozen of different flavors ranging from chopped pork, sauteed beef-- just about any traditional Korean, Japanese, and Chinese style ramen. So if you've ever been in those countries and explore its culture, you see the cart stands with the owner cooking large doses of noodles, and people sitting on small plastic stools eating ramen.

    Now ramen not is not only around the Asian culture, but ventured off to America and other countries worldwide as well. Though I do have to add that too much ramen is not good for one's health. The amount of salt in one single package is astounding. College may be tough, yes, but I don't recommend people consuming too much of it. Perhaps for us college students, switching from ramen to a simple sandwich from time to time helps.

    - Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personally, Top Ramen is one of the main things that kept me alive while living on my own. I still eat at least one nearly everyday. I read that you put an egg in, and instantly finished the puzzle of what my uncle used to put in it. Another good way to go is to mix packages (Chili & Chicken), or you can put parmesean cheese in it. Nowadays there are so many versions of quick and easy Ramens, it is hard to decide which one is the best.
    Reading through your blog I was actually surprised when you talked about crushing up the Ramen and adding in the sauce. It was always very popular throughout my elementary and middle school days, but is too salty for my likings.

    ReplyDelete